What you can expect in a Senior Software Engineer role at Black Line IT:
As a Support Engineer, you will:
- Resolve customer issues via email, phone, and video conferencing.
- Support a mix of Self-Hosted and Azure web application customers.
- Collaborate with our Development Team to build new features and fix bugs.
- Create and update documentation based on customer interactions.
- Work hard to solve customer problems while delighting them along the way.
- Participate in regular rotations for weekday and weekend on-call coverage (daytime only), providing emergency support to our web application customers, or working with our Development and Engagement team to coordinate incident communications.
- Work alongside Project Manager to define and shape the product goals, roadmap, priorities, and strategy based on your frontline knowledge of customer needs.
- Continually research and learn the current and future best practices of using Black Line’s custom software applications.
- Suggest and implement improvements to Support workflows.
- Conduct Quality Assurance and Testing on systems prior to release to production.
Projects you would work on:
What you do in this role will directly improve Black Line’s ability to support and service our customers. You will have a lot of freedom to work on things that will make your life, and the lives of your coworkers, easier.
You will be working on projects like the list below which current and past engineers in this role have accomplished:
- Built and maintained tooling to streamline our bug reporting.
- Built a solution to capture the state of an application server and screenshot for easier troubleshooting.
- Identified and implemented performance or UI upgrades as part of our maintenance program.
- Added functionality to make it easier to identify user actions and navigation on Black Line’s custom applications.
- Written an integration to route support requests to both our ticket manager and project management tools, automatically assigning requests to relevant people.
You should apply if:
- You are a natural communicator and happy to use those skills to help others.
- You love exploring new technologies and figuring things out the hard way.
- You enjoy solving many small problems per day.
You are a support professional:
- You have 2+ years of experience in a support or other service-oriented customer facing role.
- You are experienced in writing support content.
- You are experienced in managing cases throughout the entire support lifecycle from initial customer inquiry to triage and reproduction, writing bug reports for hand off to the development team, and case resolution.
- You have experience jumping into a complex situation, can make sense of, and communicate clearly to stakeholders what is going on.
- You are comfortable using ticketing/support platforms such as AutoTask.
You have the technical acumen:
- You have knowledge of DevOps methodologies and you appreciate the value that technologies (such as cloud and CI) bring to the software deployment and development process.
- You can communicate complex technical topics to customers and coworkers of varying technical skill levels.
- You have C#/ASP.NET MVC knowledge and are comfortable following along the source code in Visual Studio or VS Code, or you are proficient in working with another MVC framework (Spring, Rails, Django, Laravel or others) and will be able to pick up .NET ecosystem quickly.
- You are not expected to have in-depth programming ability, but the knowledge enough to follow along with source code as needed and write up a bug report.
- You will escalate the bug report for remediation.
- You are experienced with Git and CI/CD.
- You understand the function of Source Control, Builds, and Deployments.
- You have proficient Linux systems administration knowledge (basic Bash Shell).
You will be able to thrive at Black Line IT if:
- You can successfully complete a proficiency test.
- You can demonstrate excellent spoken and written English.
- You can balance working in a self-sufficient/autonomous manner along with teamwork and collaboration.
- You can effectively use Black Line’s applications.
- Our mission and values resonate with you.